Bathroom envy …

Our Family bathroom is … in two words … pretty miserable. It is dull, unloved and needs a complete overhall. We have been reluctanct to change the floor (even though I really hate it) because you all know what it’s like when you open that can of worms!

First change the floor tiles (which will immediately accentuate the awfulness of the wall tiles) and then you start to really think about what is under that bath… It’s only the dreaded fear stops you from taking a peek for fear of uncovering a black hole of deadly mould. ( cue psycho music )….oh the joys 🙂

Last week I made the mistake of trying to make it look a little better ( we were preparing for visitors). I painted below the bath…then the skirting …followed by the door….and there it remains. I don’t have the pics uploaded yet to enlighten you on the miserableness of the before shots or the progress on the ‘nearly after’ shot , but suffice to say, now the can of worms has been truly officially opened ever so slightly.The walls will need a paint … and even though I swore I wouldn’t paint the floor…I am caving in to that idea possibly… just temporarily.

Here are a few pics I’ve been drooling over using to inspire me for when we really ‘Gut’ the bathroom and start again……

bathroom envy 2

bathroom envy 3

bathroom envy 4

bathroom envy

Please feel free to share any cans of worms you’ve opened lately…or are afraid to open in the comments below….

ciao for now x

Before and after …

To paint or not to paint…that was the big question. The brick fireplace in our kitchen has never quite sat right with me. It is a big feature in the room..as in … you really can’t miss it. It is the monster that greets you as you come  through the back ( which is really used as a front) door. Here it is in all its former glory …

You might remember this pic from an earlier post of the fireplace before we moved in

gennaio 083

 

I knew I was going to paint it eventually … so I decided in January that the time had come. This is how it looked the morning before the big makeover. (I didn’t attempt to pretty any of these photos up as this was done while the little lady was having her morning nap and it was a race against the zzz’s  🙂 )

IMG_7060

 

Oh I should mention that the night before I cleaned the brick with a mix of half white wine vinegar and half water. It did stink but it was a natural stink so I reckoned that was ok!

IMG_7063

 

I had half a litre tin of Annie Sloan ‘Old White’ Chalk paint – which was perfect as after much deliberation I decided that I wanted a ‘wash’ effect as opposed to a full-blown white look all over the brick. I mixed the half litre of chalk paint with equal amount of water and got to work. It did run a bit but was easily blended as it was quite watery. It didn’t take long at all ( long enough for a morning nap and a few quick photos)

And this is how it all turned out! I was pleased enough although as you can see I ran out of wash and was unable to get underneath the stove. To be honest it’s not that noticeable in real life 🙂 but I will patch it up with a tester pot.

IMG_7073

 

There are a few other patches (below on the right) that could do with another little wash … but again in real life not that noticeable and with a little tester pot should be easy to fix. All in all not bad for two hours work with ingredients all found in the cupboard under my sink!

IMG_7068

 

All thoughts, opinions, shock and horror and any other brick painting escapades you may have experienced all welcome in the comments below! I am vowing to post more frequently so hopefully will see you soon … Ciao for now x